Friday, October 18, 2013

Tπis is How We DΦ It

Sophomore Sarah White talks about what she's involved in on campus. 

My entire life, I have made seemingly (note the key word “seemingly”) arbitrary decisions that have made those around me question my abilities to properly make decisions and assess my life choices. I took Latin in middle and high school, suffering through countless exams for a supposedly dead, useless language.  While I was scanning The Aeneid, my other friends were taking oral exams, grooming their marketable language skills, lecturing me on where I went wrong.  However, now, as the rest of my art history class struggles to connect Hellenistic art to its ancient Greek and Roman politics, mythology, and culture, I am proudly making deeper connections than I ever believed that I could.  What still surprises those close to me is that I continue to make these same kinds of decisions, decisions that lack the purest form of practicality that Hopkins students often thrive on.   I do choose some activities based on practicality, yes, but I also choose ones for pure enjoyment.

My finest example of this is my involvement in JOSH, JHU’s all-female Bollywood Fusion dance group.  By “fusion”, we mean that we combine more traditional styles of Indian dance with contemporary dance such as hip-hop.  Yes, I joined an Indian dance team.  And as my name and appearance suggest, I am far from Indian.  But none of the JOSH girls seemed to mind when I entered the audition last spring, nor do they care now that I’m a member of this really spectacular team. I’ll admit, I have a relatively small amount of experience with dance, let alone with Indian dance (you should see me stumble over classical style choreography—sad life).  However, I don’t mind having to shower at midnight after practice or working extra hard to learn the moves because spending time dancing with these girls is insane amounts of fun (sisters Serena Durrani and Sahini Pothireddy can attest to this).  All we care about is dancing as best as we can and having fun together. 

Sarah White, Serena Durrani, and Sahini Pothireddy pose with their team.


I was also a film and media studies major for a year.  In order to gain experience with leadership in the field, I became a part of the organization committee for the Hopkins Film Conference. It was a forum based here on the Hopkins campus for students, faculty, and industry professionals from across the mid-Atlantic region to discuss their ideas on a given topic.  This year the topic was “Film and Technology,” leading us to call upon artists such as Toni Dove (2000/2003 Government Advisory Committee on Information Technology and Creativity, Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, etc.) to speak at our event. Though I’m no longer a film major, the main thing I’ve learned from my experience on this committee is that I have the ability to take a significant leadership role on a brand new project and aid in it’s success.  So bottom line: it’s so typical that I ended up doing something ELSE unrelated to what I want to do with my life (which is unknown, just by the way), but it provided me with skills and the knowledge of my own abilities that I wouldn’t have gained just by sitting in class.

My friend from home and I have a mantra: “do it for the story”.  I strongly urge everyone to pick something they want to do just because of that little voice inside you that says, “I want to join an Indian dance team because it looks like fun.”  No matter how many people will tell you that you’re wasting your time, time is never wasted on expanding your mind in directions you didn’t know it could stretch.  I firmly believe that those who do things just for the hell of it have more fun and learn more overall. Now that I’m a writing seminars major (or will be once I get that form signed, oops…), I can tell the stories I’ve been working to collect.  As a Pi Phi, I can’t wait to pass this wisdom on to my little and baby angels to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment