Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pi Phi Summer Days; Ali

Yes, I know. I said I'd be back soon. And here I am (I take the definition of soon rather liberally). Many PPL apologies!

For the next installment, I bring you Ali. Ali is a rising junior and majoring in Archaeology and minoring in museum studies. She is an avid fan of Steven Colbert, mustaches, and salsa dancing in the moonlight. For five weeks this summer, however, she has traveled all the way to Europe to participate in an archaeological field school in Spain. 



Embodying the spanish flair while abroad!
"I'm currently in Sant llorenc de montgai, Spain (1 hour west of Barcelona in the southeastern Pyrenees). This field school teaches undergraduates (there are 4 other girls in the program from colleges in the USA and Canada and possibly some students from the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona) important information about field work methods, lab techniques, artifact analysis, and object conservation. We'll be working at a site called Cova Gran (Big Cave in Catalan) to learn about the differences between Neanderthal and Anatomically Modern Human behavior as well as transition from hunter-gatherer to shepherd-farmer practices." 

Since the archaeology major at Hopkins requires field school credit to promote the importance the applying the methods and theories they learn at Hopkins to real archaeological sites, Ali specifically chose this program based on her previous interests. Ali follows in the path of her big, Bonnie, who is currently on a professional dig in Italy!
"I specifically chose the Cova Gran field school because I am especially interested in Neanderthal history and culture. Not many undergraduate digs provide the opportunity to study prehistorical sites--so I am ridiculously excited! Plus I love to eat dinner on the later side, and since we are in Spain, dinner is at 10pm!"
You can find a picture of the gorgeous town Ali is studying in here. And a picture of the epic site is located here (be careful, Ali)! 



We wish you the best of luck for your internship and see you in the Fall! 

PPL & M,
Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment