Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pi Phi Summer Days (Alumnae Edition) ; Nicole

On the third week of blogging, my sisters gave to me:
Twelve founding sisters
Eleven spirit wear orders
Ten recruitment chants
Nine exec members
Eight vice-presidents
Seven members of grand council
Six Pi Phi Values
Five sorority squats
Four date parties
Three days of greek "week"
Two semi-formals
And a new post for the pi phi blog

Welcome to The Hunger Games! Wait- no wrong event. Welcome to the newest week of Pi Phi Summer Days! I sincerely apologize for "Twelve days of Pi Phi", but even though it is the summer, I have the Twelve Days of Christmas stuck in my head.

Nevertheless, drumroll please, welcome a recently graduated Pi Phi sister (and my former coworker), Nicole! Nicole is a graduated senior and while at Hopkins she majored in Archaeology and Classics. She enjoys studying abroad in Scotland (she spent a year abroad!), eating at Mums, shopping online, and finding new and interesting places to eat. Before she goes off to get her Master's degree in the United Kingdom, she is interning in the Anthropology Department at the National Museum of Natural History.



Werkin' it in her initiation whites
"As an intern, I will be researching primarily on the Cattle Oiler site at the Missouri River Basin. It is a Native American site from the Initial Middle Missouri and Extended Missouri periods. It's primarily a two-part internship that includes a research component and a practical, hands-on collections management component. I am assigned to develop a research question (especially on the topic of culture contact), do research, and write a blog post on the Rogers Archaeology Lab blog. ... The other part of my job is to help catalog the archaeological artifacts from the Missouri River Basin excavations at the Museum Support Center in Suitland, MD. Lastly, as an intern with the Smithsonian, I am encouraged to attend lectures, presentations, and talks hosted by the institution in order to get a better grasp of how a museum runs on an every day basis and to learn about all the other research projects the curators and researchers are conducting. Dr. Rogers [the head of the lab] is an Adjunct Professor at GW and runs his classes at the Museum, and I have been able to attend those as well."
On her first day day as an intern she was able to sit in a class that had a guest speaker talking about the intentionality and impact of a museum and its responsibility to adhere to its mission, values, and goals. She hope to do the same in the future and combine her love of museums with the important values she learned as a charter member. 
"... this internship has been an awesome, valuable, and eye-opening experience so far. I am making all-important connections, learning a lot about museum research, museum functions, and archaeology in general. Being in the Natural History Museum is a dream come true and affirms my love for museums and my aim for a museum career. [One of the best parts] I get to go behind-the-scenes and get discounts at the gift shop and cafe!"
We wish all the best with your internship and hope to see you soon!

PPL & M,
Gaby

P.S. Nicole, don't leave me. You better see me when I go abroad!!

1 comment: